Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Visit from Chinese Students

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a fabulous long weekend. I wanted to let you know that I've invited Miami Hamilton's visiting Chinese students to visit our class for 30 minutes or so on September 19. I am still working out the details, but my thinking is that I'll talk to them earlier that week about "the idea of American Studies," then they can talk to you guys that Saturday and get a sense of what we're actually studying and doing in class.

How does that sound? As always, I'm open to your suggestions for what to do that morning. I'd love to show them your blogs, for one thing. What else?

Inquiringly,
Dr. K.

3 comments:

Lou said...

Dr. K.,

I think that sounds like a great idea! Is there a way to tie in the Chinese immigrant history into our frontier research? It might be interesting to see what the students believe to be true vs. what we believe to be true about the immigration of the Chinese into the western US.

Just a thought (or two).

Lou

Matt Davidson said...

Dr. K.,
We started our AMS class talking about Turner's description of the rugged, determined, self-sufficient people we evolved into during our westward expansion. To this day, many of us still identify with those traits as we purchase Log Cabin syrup, Wrangler jeans, & root for the Buffalo Bills or Dallas Cowboys.
What characteristics, behaviors, or beliefs do the visiting students consider to be uniquely Chinese? How far back in their history were these traits formed? How have they changed, and why?
Matt

Theresa said...

Great suggestions, guys. Keep 'em coming!